Other Gilbert and Sullivan Societies in Canada
- Gilbert and Sullivan Society of Nova Scotia
Founded in 1977, this group now presents two shows each year.
- The McGill Savoy Society
This university group has been in existence since 1963, and it produces a show every winter.
- Montreal West Operatic Society
Canada’s oldest Gilbert & Sullivan Society was founded in 1939 and presents one show a year. This group has enjoyed a particularly notable history, and the Savoy Society of Ottawa traces its origins to members of this company.
- Lakeshore Light Opera
Another well-established group on the west island of Montreal, LLO, founded in 1955, presents a G&S production in the late winter. For a number of years our two groups have organized road trips to see each other’s productions.
- Toronto Gilbert & Sullivan Society
This group performed at the Hart House Theatre for many years, but now it is an appreciation society rather than a performing society. Their website includes their newsletter.
- Alexander Singers
This Toronto-based group presents G&S and Broadway shows in alternating years, plus concerts and community singing.
- North Toronto Players
This group specializes in adaptations of the Savoy operas.
- Musical Theatre Productions, London, Ontario
Active since 1955, this group presents one G&S and one Broadway show a year.
- Gilbert and Sullivan Society of Winnipeg
This group, founded in 1990, presents a show each spring.
- Morpheus Theatre, Calgary
Founded in 1995, this group now operates a full theatrical season consisting of one G&S production and three non-musical plays.
- The Gilbert and Sullivan Society of UBC
Founded in 2003, this university group now presents a G&S and a Broadway show a year.
- Fraser Valley Gilbert and Sullivan Society
Founded in 1982, this group in the Greater Vancouver area presents a G&S opera each year, plus a traditional Christmas panto production and occasional Broadway musicals.
- Victoria Gilbert and Sullivan Society
This group generally performs two works a year.
Information on Gilbert and Sullivan
- Gilbert and Sullivan Archive – This is the essential page for Gilbert and Sullivan information: the librettos for all the operas are here along with extensive background information, plus historic photographs, clip art, midi files, articles, links, etc.
- Gilbert and Sullivan Discography – Enormous in scope, this site surveys and reviews the hundreds of recordings that have been made of the Savoy Operas.
- Savoynet – The internet mailing list dedicated to Gilbert and Sullivan.
- Council for the Arts in Ottawa – A not-for-profit, membership-based organization dedicated to encouraging and developing an appreciation for the arts in the Ottawa region.
- City of Ottawa Arts Listings – Upcoming events in the arts, in and around Ottawa.
- Children’s Wish Foundation – Dedicated to fulfilling a favourite wish for children afflicted with a high risk, life-threatening illness, the Foundation has been responsible for bringing a special moment of joy into the lives of many children since its inception. The Savoy Society is a proud sponsor of the Children’s Wish Foundation.
- CAMMAC – Through Canadian Amateur Musicians / Musiciens Amateurs du Canada, amateur musicians from across Canada and around the world have met together to make music since 1953.
Voice Instruction and Coaching
- ORMTA – The Ontario Registered Music Teachers’ Association, Ottawa Region Branch – Includes a directory of teachers.
- NATS – The National Association of Teachers of Singing is the largest association of teachers of singing in the world. Web site includes a directory of teachers.